Beef donburis or Gyudons are a comforting dish for many people. The sweet and savoury sauce coupled with caramelised onions and perfectly cooked beef. It is readily available in several stores in Japan, most famously in Yoshinoya. Turn your home into your very own Yoshinoya with our recipe for gyudons, made with our wagyu beef slices.
Wagyu Beef Donburi (Serves 2)
Time: 15 min
- 250g Wagyu beef slices (1/2 of the packet)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 spring onion
- 1 cup of Japanese short-grain rice
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of mirin
- 2 tbsp of soya sauce
- 1/2 cup of dashi broth
- Defrost wagyu beef slices.
- Slice onion into thin strips.
- Wash rice and cook.
- In a large pan, combine dashi, mirin, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Heat the mixture on medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Sautee sliced onions in the mixture until it becomes soft and brown.
- Place beef slices in the pan and fry for 3 min.
- Scoop rice into a bowl and put beef and onions on top of it. Drizzle the sauce on top of the beef as well.
- Slice spring onions and garnish.
There you have it! Your very own quality wagyu beef donburi. Additionally, you could place an onsen tamago on top of your rice bowl for more flavour and texture. If you would like to spice it up, you could add Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese 7 Spice) which would give you additional flavour and spiciness.